From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] on
behalf of Ed Picha [n...@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:17 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Wall wart for KX3

KX3 gurus:

Has anyone found a wall wart they like for the KX3?  Like most hams, I
have a big box of wall warts, and have tried several different 12 V
adaptors with the KX3.  They all worked ok for general operation, but I
noted that when I added the KXBC3 battery charger option to the KX3, I
really needed an honest 13.8 V or higher to fully charge the internal
batteries.  Most of the warts I tried had outputs less than 13V, and the
few that I found that could supply 13.8 V under load had voltages above
15 V with no load.   I didn't want to take a chance with these by
exceeding the KX3 upper voltage speceven for the short time that it
would take for the adaptor voltage to drop.

My KX3 current drain numbers are (all at 13.8 V):

receive, with backlight:  0.190 A
receive while charging batteries: 0.400 A
transmit, 5W: 1.04 A
transmit, 10W: 1.91 A

So, I guess the ideal adaptor would be capable of 2A at 13.8 V to
support running the radio with no (or fully discharged) batteries at
full power, and would not exceed 15 V with no load.  While I'm wishing,
it would also be smalland lightweight.

Any suggestions?

thanks, 73

ed N9EP