Don/Dave,

Let me start with I use a SignalLink USB and the cables supplied with my Windows7 PC. I find that it is not necessary to do anything to interface except just plugging in the cables. The SignaLink has its own sound card and front mounted pots for level adjustments. This arrangement works fine here.

Now having said what I do, I'll relate some things that I have seen that have caused real problems. Probably, the largest number of failures that I have encountered is the failure of laptop computer sound cards of transmitting and receiving on the same frequency. I have not investigated as to why this happens, but it does. Some digital mode software allow you to calibrate this problem out; Apple and the SignaLink don't seem to have this problem. Some use VOX to key their transmitters, but don't set it correctly. The last major failure I have seen is over driving the radio so that the distortion is too high for the other guy to demod and decode; you really need to keep your transmit levels well within the linear region of your transmitter. That means don't allow the ALC to kick much and NO compression.

73,
Barry
K3NDM