Yep, that is 100% correct.

If the station that is offended would simply reduce their RF gain control,
in most cases they will see the signal clean right up.  Then the real issue
is that they want to copy a weak signal that is in a chunk of spectrum that
is full of strong signals (most likely due to excellent propagation).
 Somehow they think it is their right to complain to folks to lower their
power.  Imagine doing that in a contest!!  ("Hey Mr Strong station, I can
work that weak guy 100 Hz away from you.  Would you please lower your
power?"  -- not that we might not wish it, but we would never say it over
the air)

So I try to avoid the flak by running 5 watts and making sure my signal is
clean.  A P3 that RF sampled would take care of the second part.  But even
5 watts can be "too much" -- I worked Australia on 30 meters with 0.5 watts
and received a signal report of -10.  That wasn't me, that was all
propagation.

73, Bob, WB4SON