> It's become very difficult to locate an SM-230 monitor in the used
> market and even when you do, they are asking an arm and a leg.  I've
> got a pretty clean one, but I can't find anyone who seems to be able
> to service the unit.

A basic transmit monitor (amplitude domain) is extremely easy to make
given an audio scope, "gimmick" capacitor (a couple turns of wire
around the coax), and a small signal diode.  I suspect such a device
could be done for a buck using a sound card and off the shelf (free)
audio scope software.

If you're looking for a spectrum analyzer (frequency domain) that's
another issue entirely as that requires some form of frequency
tracking (local oscillator/mixer) and SDR software.  However, since
the "receiver" does not need to be particularly sensitive, one could
probably use one of the very inexpensive SDR devices on the market
these days as the core of any spectrum monitor.

I *hope* that whatever solution Elecraft choose for a potential P3
"sensor" option it *does not require the SVGA option*.  To me the
SVGA is redundant (I don't need another display, text decode or
another "dedicated" keyboard) and I would be very disappointed to
see that cost be a requirement for either an amplitude or spectrum
scope.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV