Yep. I operate RTTY/PSK/JT65 in DATA A/AFSK mode with my K3 using 2 $5 stereo cables from Radio Shack, and N1MM, MixW, or WSJT. I did it for quite awhile with my K2 -- headphone jack to soundcard LINE IN and soundcard LINE OUT to the mic connector through a little T-pad I built into the cable with 3 resistors and some shrink wrap.

Sometime back, there was an increase in the number of posts to this list with digital problems and issues. I started counting [sorry, math major here :-)] and over 90% involved problems with some an external interface box, creation of virtual serial ports and sometimes a combination of external devices and software.

Since the K3/KX3 generates the ultimate FSK in computer code in the DSP, there is exactly zero difference between AFSK and direct FSK in the RF output. AFSK is quite a bit simpler to connect up however. PTT issues also come up fairly frequently ... DATA A/AFSK [in the K3] allows you to just use VOX -- totally painless.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org