Sean,

As a software guy myself, I understand that you may be leaning toward buying an antenna instead of building.

I like the idea of the LNR because it leaves more money in your pocket to experiment with other antennas.

Get a good antenna book. Read all the chapters on wire antennas. Wire antennas are cheap cheap cheap.

Magnetic loop antennas aren't that hard to build. You need a good high-voltage variable capacitor, and you can buy vacuum variable capacitors on eBay. Nearly everything else comes from your local big-box home improvement store (Orange or Blue, your choice).

73 -- Lynn