Heh, using myself as an example: I took the 13 WPM code test at the FCC in SF to gain the General (an imposing building, 555 Battery Street is forever imbedded in memory). I held an Advanced for years but know I'll never make 20 WPM code, it simply isn't one of my talents. Once that requirement was dropped, it was the math that trips me up. I don't know, nor do I care what the formulas are BUT I know where to find them when I need them.

I learn more by doing than reading. The better teachers know there are three ways to learn, seeing, hearing, doing; then teach ALL methods at the same time.

At one point, I got bored, so I took the tests online until I was consistently above 85% then took the actual exam making only guesses at the math. Some were correct, based on frequent exposure to the tests. If I did well everywhere else, it would be enough to pass, regardless of the math. I blew through the rest of the test, which carried me to an Extra. So if I can do it, pretty much anyone else should make it.

One exception is my older son (both area licensed). He has a degree in math and a CSEE, is highly trained and working in digital magic for a military contractor but can't help over-thinking the test (an engineer fault, besides, it's mostly analog). The test is grossly outdated and the generic answers are too dumbed down to the point of being inaccurate (to folks like him).

Now where did I put those math books? :o) Oh yah, next to the CW practice machine... hmmm, dusty again.

73,
Rick wa6nhc