Tom & Brendan:

On Jan 17, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Brendan Minish EI6IZ wrote:

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 17:53 -0500, Tom Althoff wrote:
I don't think I've seen any comments regarding the KRC2.
If I connect the KRC2 to my K2 I assume I can control the K2 from PC
software transparantly from any software package that controls the K2
now.  Correct?

Yes. I am using the KRC2 to handle all my antenna switching on the K2
with my sixpak and my K9AY LF rx loops.
My pro2 I have to manually switch, Little hardship since it sees far
less use than the K2

Dxbase and writelog talk to the K2 as normal

What would the disadvantage be if I wired the KRC2 for serial control
(K2 and Kenwood) vs. Aux Bus mode (K2 only)?

would you not loose the KRC2 buttons ability to control the K2 if you
did that?

It should work just fine. The KRC2 can get the K2 band info from either method. The jumper selections are for band info only - Auxbus vs serial (and more...). The KRC2 will still gather data from the K2 if the serial signals are connected.

The KRC2 is just as happy interpreting serial frequency info as it is gathering Auxbus info. You do have to make sure the radio is sending out the info, so for the KRC2 to work you either need a computer polling the radio (through the KRC2) or you need to configure the KRC2 to place the radio into an auto-report mode. The advantage of using Auxbus is that you don't need the serial data (and thus the polling) to get the band information.

If you want to use the KRC2 with a Kenwood, drop me an email. I have some suggestions on making the KRC2 work well in that configuration.

-Jack Brindle, W6FB