Yesterday, K9YC wrote:

>Likewise, we must qualify the dynamic range of the measurement system
--
>when does it begin to contribute distortion due to its own
>non-linearity. This is what K2XT ran into in his tests.

That error did not affect my tests. I re-ran the same tests today and
reconfirmed that, across a 60dB range of input levels to the SDR-IQ, the
measured IMD3 levels change by less than 1dBc.

Making further tests at 100W PEP, I measured IMD3 levels close to -30dBc
at 1.9MHz and -27-28dBc at 14.2MHz... but then deteriorating with
frequency towards -20dBc at 28.5MHz.

However, I do confirm Jim's measurements that the IMD3 values at the 50W
level are at least 15-20dB better. When driving a PA at 30-50W, the K3
or K3S will almost never be the limiting factor in determining IMD.

Responding to Don's point: all of these IMD measurements were made at an
indicated supply voltage of 14.5V. Following discussions in this forum
some years ago, the supply voltage had been deliberately increased to
help improve the TX IMD performance.

I must repeat the warning that these measurements were made with a
7-year-old KPA100 module in a new K3S so they may not be representative
of recent examples of either the K3 or an all-new K3S... but in other
respects the trends are clear.

73 from Ian GM3SEK