The results almost totally depend on the length of the ladder line. At certain lengths, it will act as an impedance transformer and could load your 80m dipole quite well. An 80m dipole on 160 will have a low impedance at the feed point. A quarter wave of ladder line will transform that impedance to a higher impedance. A half wave of ladder line will give the same impedance (no transformer effect.)

If you have something near a half wave of ladder line, the 4:1 balun is totally wrong since it will transform a low impedance to one 4x lower!

Try it with a 1: balun and see if the SWR improves or not.

As for actual, honest SWR readings, I assume that most meters are unreliable in the actual readings when the SWR gets high, especially 10:1 and above. They are really built to operate in the 50 ohm range, not 500 or 1000.

BTW, IMO the KAT500 is one of the best tuners I've used and I've been building or using them for over 50 years.

Ken WA8JXM