I don't believe that it has anything to do with whether or not a match can be reached. Some SWRs are simply too difficult to measure accurately, even with an error-corrected network analyzer. For near ideal reactances or very high or very low SWR, reflection measurements are inappropriate. In other words, if the impedance is on or near the periphery of a Smith Chart (rho ~ 1) find another method.