"Amtor" existed long before it was a legal mode on
Amateur radio as "SiTOR", (Simplex Teleprinting
over Radio" ) on commercial maritime circuits. To
my knowledge, there is no basic difference between
Sitor and Amtor.  Only the name is different.

I remember when working for Microlog Corp back in
the 70's, when we were developing the SiTor
terminal programs,  we'd  (illegally to be sure)
fire up the TR-7 on the marine 12 MHz band and
call marine coastal stations to check out our
operating program, asking for radio reports etc.
We knew most of the ops, so nobody cared too much.
Especially if the network was quiet for a while
before we called.  Curiously, the TR-7 IS fast
enough to successfully operate Mode A Amtor.

Since there was a several month lead time for ads
in QST, I remember getting the inside scoop that
the FCC was about to OK the use of both Mode A
(hand-shake) and mode B (Forward Error Correction)
Sitor, or Amtor if you please on the HAM bands.
The ad was scheduled to come out in the issue of
QST, the same month the FCC OK came out.  This was
the "Now, you can chirp back." Ad and boy was I
sweating bullets that the OK would in fact come
out in time.   Luckily for me, it did so I avoided
a huge "egg-in-the-face" situation.

It was quite a challenge back then to find radios
that would switch (from full power transmit to
full sensitivity receive) fast enough to run mode
A.  This was not break-in CW because almost all
the programs used AFSK with the rigs in SSB mode.
Seems like a century ago......

73, Charlie k3ICH