Note that to change some of the AGC settings you must have Tech MD ON.

I tried these settings and went back to the stock settings. I think the reasons were:

I don't run pileups. I am mostly a S&P contester, and always in the pileup rather than working it for DX. (Just how many people need Santa Clara County CA?), so most of the improvements don't affect me very much.

When I'm listening to weak DX, the higher SLP keeps the occasional person who forgets to go into split mode (and the up police) from blasting out my eardrums.

My normal background noise on 20M is about S2. (It's about S5 on 160M.) I think this means that I'm not getting AGC from the normal background. BTW, I don't know why my noise levels are so low living in suburbia. I always seem to be a couple of S units weaker than others I hear giving honest signal reports. In any case, I have enough sensitivity to get the band noise, and I can certainly hear a lot of stations which can't hear me.

When I run digital modes, I don't have to ride the RF gain to keep the audio signal to the computer below overload, a nice convenience.

I will have to try turning AGC off when using the Audio Frequency Peaking feature. With AGC on, it only seems to do a little compared with 50 or 100 HZ on the DSP filter. The DSP filter technique helps suppress slightly off frequency strong signals better too.

73 Bill AE6JV