Running 240 to the shack, while not a trivial task, is not "undoable".
I am doing so right now...  I am putting in a sub-panel to deliver the
power from the service, and am running separate circuits for 8 x 20Amp
120 V receptacles, 2 x 15 Amp 240 V receptacles, and 2 x 20 Amp 240 V re
ceptacles.  All using twisted pair wirin g of at least 2 wire gauges
above code for power level and steel conduit for shielding from service
to sub, and sub to 6 gang metal back box...

Have a master electrician who will inspect and sign off on the work to
satisfy the insurance guys...

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389