I remember seeing the KPA1500 at Dayton heating up the building. I reached
for my credit card but was told not taking orders. Bummer.

Today I have a KPA500 and an Acom-2000A (very early one) sitting on a shelf
7' off the floor in the basement. Literally right below my feet here in the
office/shack. Keeps the heat and noise downstairs. Both track the K3. So
when I key the amp it is on freq and ready. I have two switches between the
pair of K3's - one to select which K3 and one to select which amp.
Most of the time both amps are off. I find 100 W is usually enough. But in a
decent pileup I will turn on the KPA500. For DXpeditions like VK0 and FT4,
especially on the low bands, I can get in and out more quickly with the
Acom. For contesting the Acom stays on the entire weekend.

This setup also gives me backup in case one of the amps fail. Also give me
more watts on 6M.

Someone mentioned about you got to hear them to work them. And I agree money
should be first spent on receiving - equipment, antennas, coax, receive
antennas, etc. But once you have optimized as much as you can because of
land, money and other restrictions, an amp is a nice way of helping you in a
pileup to work a station you can hear. And especially on the low bands going
from 500 to 1500 W may make the difference from working and not working a
station.
I still remember the one morning I heard Zone 19 on Topband for my first and
only time at my sunrise. Unfortunately I did not have the KPA500 then. Only
had the Acom. But the Acom was off. While I waited for the Acom to heat up I
tried calling the UA0 with 100W. He knew I was calling him but he could not
pull out my full call. By the time the Acom cycled ON, the UA0 was down in
the noise. Bummer.

73,
N2TK, Tony