On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Sandy W5TVW wrote:

| However, these days, operating zero-beat on a single frequency, the
| long call is just a waste of time. You call CQ DE W5TVW K. I'll
| answer AA4LR on the same frequency. Where's the confusion?

Perhaps no confusion to you, the sending operator, but a possible bit
of confusion to the operator who called CQ!

I and many others have THOUSANDS of successful CW QSOs using these techniques.

Firstly, let's assume you have imperfect propagation conditions: fading, static, whatever. You might miss my call or get it confused if I sent it just once.

On 160m and sometimes 80m, perhaps I'll double the call to AA4LR AA4LR.

If you only get part of it, you'll send the part you got: 4LR. I'll respond with my full call again: AA4LR AA4LR. The more times we repeat this, the more times I'll repeat my call.

Anything else might likely lead to asking
you to repeat your callsign, which takes up even more time?

The point is, especially in a contest, the vast majority of the time, the first call works. And this protocol works well when there are multiple callers, too.

Just a one time sent callsign IS bad operating practice and operating manners.

Some of the very best operators I know are contesters, and they ALL do this. It can't possibly be a "bad practice".

Contest conditions are usually frantic, crowded and many times plain RUDE.

Well, that's true.

Such things as sections/states and unique member
numbers are exchanged.  In the peak of the QRM/QSB I usually always
send State and my number TWICE.

This is kinda a "QRP" mentality -- "I'm weak and in the noise, I better be redundant." That's not always so. Low power and QRP stations can have formidable and readable signals, given reasonable antennas and fair to good conditions.

In some cases, such redundancy may be helpful, like on 160m. But, mostly, it just wastes time.

Otherwise, you
have to ask for a repeat which wastes more time.

Fills can be done quickly and efficiently, too.

| The old "Novice Accent" advice was to do 3x3x3 - CQ CQ CQ DE W1ABC
| W1ABC W1ABC repeated three times. Again, that was with a lot of guys
| still rock-bound. These days, a single 3x3 with a few seconds of
| listening seems more appropriate.

    I agree LOOOOOONG CQ calls or doing a 3 X 3 format three times
IS...repeat IS a waste of time and "overkill".  Do the 3 X 3 and wait
15-60 seconds and repeat the call.

We do agree on this!

  We still have a few people who
have "vintage" transmitters that are crystal controlled, but sadly
very few people who "tune around", even a couple of kHz. with
the RIT control.

Or open up the filter bandwidth, at least.

    Anyway, the sum of it is, nobody seems like they are teaching ANY
really good operating practices anymore.

And we agree here, too.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901