>In contest operation, we'll dispense with the DE and K altogether.

IMHO, this practice reflects badly on the contester (on his Morse
"professionalism," if you will).  Unfortunately, it also becomes for many a
bad habit carried over into routine operation.  We're only talking about
taking a *small* additional fraction of a second to send a complete and
proper exchange.  In reality, most contest time and energy is utilized
sending unanswered calls over and over and over and over.

It is unfortunate that contest and DX rules in general don't mandate
complete call sign exchanges by both stations, each containing both station
call signs along with the proper prosigns.  That would certainly be more
appropriate than the totally perfunctory 599 report usually sent with each
exchange.

73,
Mike / KK5F