On 11/29/2017 2:32 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
Besides being excellent radios, one of the other real values in Elecraft products is that Elecraft leans over backwards to provide upgrade paths to owners of earlier versions. The K3 to K3S upgrade path is a good example as is the history of the K2.

Yep. I bought the two K3s that remain on my operating desk today in 2008. Upgrading to the new synth boards and new transverter board with the built-in preamp for 12-10-6M, bringing it up to about 90% of a K3S for a small fraction of the cost of a new rig. With any other mfr, I'd have to sell the rig for half-price or less and buy a new one.

The modularity that allows us to buy only the features we need, adds features provided by new hardware designs, and provides that inexpensive upgrade path is a big plus. So are the ongoing upgrades to firmware, always free!

73, Jim K9YC