Other than having two paddles for iambic keying, these keys are quite different. The BY-1 is fragile and finicky; the Hex key is solid and easily adjusted. I've had both and much prefer the Hex key. However, both have been replaced by a Scheunemann M-Dirigent (was Schurr Profi).

    http://www.morsex.com/scheun/

73,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH