From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Rick WA6NHC
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 10:41 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 faulting on high VSWR on power rise

One exception is when the dipole is used on multiple bands, then a 4:1 may be
required.  That was the case for my 370' 80M EDZ (two opposing
5/8 wave, center fed).  That is specifically a non-resonant antenna on any ham
band but it performed best with the 4:1 instead of the 1:1.  It was a
compromise either way, this was the better choice since I needed that antenna
to work on all bands.  If it was only 80M, the 1:1 was the better choice.

While I am not a fan of MFJ so consider it suspect in this case, I also believe
that since the common mode choke (referred to as a balun in this
thread) should GREATLY exceed the voltage expectations for simple overhead.
The cost differences for higher ratings are not significant. In my stations, I
use the 10KW rated devices from DX Engineering (KPA500
amp) and I've had no issues with them, even at extreme SWR mismatch (QRO on
160M into the above dipole, 20:1 unmatched with a Heathkit tuner). My new
station will be entirely resonant, so a 1:1 CMC will suffice but I'll still use
the high power devices.

The bottom line here is that the antenna in this thread is not resonant
(because of the feed choice, which is understandable for multiband use), the
voltages presented will be extreme, component overkill (and a more qualified
tuner) should be used.  It's not a fault of the amp, but of the matching
network.

It is also KEY that the LEAST amount of coax is used (under 10' to the
final) because the high SWR is present there as well, so the losses will be
extreme and it could even exceed the voltage limits of the coax, depending on
brand, age and type.  Been there, done that (darned HOA limits).  This also
means that the coax should be tested, from time to time, until proven worthy.

Rick NHC