Hi Rick,

I distinguish between the radiator and the feed method, and therefore I would
not say "the compromises add up to make it work".

To me, moving a dipole's feed from center to the end (or to somewhere in
between) doesn't change its radiating characteristic as a dipole. Whether the
feed method is free of loss, or free of diverting power off of the dipole are
complicated questions better answered by serious testing of an individual
design than by simple rules of thumb. I haven't recently looked into the "box"
of my Cushcraft vertical, but it has been reported that there is a separate
impedance transformer and a separate common mode choke. A very low swr is
achieved without a tuner, at full legal power (within bandwidth limitations;
people have blown up toroids when going outside bandwidth on 40m on the R7).
There is obviously not a high level of power lost in the "box", or it would not
survive full legal power. Thus this is not like some antennas that sacrifice
efficiency by swamping in order to achieve low swr. Therefore most of any
observed loss of performance can be attributed to the radiator and its en
 vironment, in combination with some rf going on the outside of the feedline
(which is not completely prevented by the one CMC in the box). Some end-fed
antennas use a non-resonant radiatior. This invariably results in swr high
enough to require a tuner. Since the R5/R7 has low swr and not very high losses
in the "box", the radiator obviously is resonant on all bands, presenting a
non-reactive impedance at the end. That impedance must be very high since it is
at the end. The very high non-reactive impedance makes it comparable to the end
impedance of a resonant halfwave wire dipole even if the Cushcraft radiator is
in other respects different. That is my basis for assuming that the Cushcraft
"box" can be compared to what you would put at the end of a wire dipole when
moving the feed from its center to one end.

An end-fed dipole can be resonant and present a very high but non-reactive
impedance on multiple (higher) bands. This can allow a fixed, broad-band
impedance transformer to provide low swr on multiple bands without a tuner.
Yes, one has to be suspicious of possible losses in the transformer, and it
takes a fight to stop rf from going onto the outside of the feedline. But since
one avoids swr-caused losses in coax, and balun losses, and tuner losses with
end-feed, I consider it an alternative worthy of serious consideration. If
optimal protection against high voltages on the coax is a main goal, that just
might tip the scale to make the end-fed dipole the winner.

73,
Erik K7TV