Lee,

The 2.8kHz filter has a flatter passband and steeper skirts than the 2.7kHz.

But remember that this is a roofing filter, the DSP provides the actual filtering for the K3/K3S. The purpose of the roofing filter is to keep strong adjacent signals from overloading the Hardware AGC and the ADC at the input to the DSP circuits. A strong signal that is inside the passband of the roofing filter, but outside the passband of the DSP filter (you may not hear that signal since it is outside the DSP filter) can cause receiver AGC "pumping" and in extreme cases can overload the ADC causing severe "information garbling".

73,
Don W3FPR