I agree with Peter in that many hams use too much RX RF Gain and too little attenuation.    Per one authority on receiver performance, the optimum receiver performance occurs when the no signal band noise is about 10 dB above the receiver noise floor. Since we can't adjust the receiver noise floor, we can adjust the overall signal coming into the receiver by using attenuation and RF gain reduction.  Typically, 160M - 40M one should expect to run 15 dB to 10 dB attenuation unless you are in a super low noise receiving environment.  For higher frequency bands, less attenuation and more RF gain is found to be desired.   Still maintaining the 10 dB practice regardless of band and antenna and band noise.

As example; if your no signal band noise is S-5 or -97 dBm and the receiver noise floor is -130 dBm,  thus a difference of 33 dB, then the optimum performance will occur with about 15 dB attenuation and 6 to 8 dB of RF gain reduction.   Or  use 10 dB of attenuation and 12 to 13 dB of RF gain reduction.     It will vary from band to band and antenna to antenna but will generally be stable across the band for a short period of time,  i.e. several hours considering atmospheric activity.  Once applied,  you will find signals will pop out of the noise.    Many hams believe attenuation is used solely to prevent receiver overload. Attenuation can be utilized for a more effective means as well.

73

Bob, K4TAX