On 11/9/2022 6:18 PM, j...@kk9a.com wrote:
Al, if you called CQ at 30WPM and they answered at 45WPM and you had
to ask for repeats, you are not the lid!

I'll toss in my two cents....

I have fair-to-middlin' CW skills, and I've operated a lot of CW contests. I was surprised and disappointed to hear so many high-speed ops in this year's CW SS. In past years, I've been pleased with the moderate speeds.

When I'm operating S&P, I almost always adjust my TX speed to match the running station's speed. it's only a hit or two on N1MM's Page Down key. I figure that's the considerate thing to do.

I can comfortably copy at 25 wpm, so that's the speed I call CQ. If someone answers faster than I can copy, I don't hesitate to send QRS. If he ignores that comes back still too fast, I'll just hit F1 to start another CQ.

If I can't copy part of his exchange, I'll ask for a repeat. There are plenty of reasons for bad copy, not just speed. QSB and QRM were present last weekend. I don't need to explain why I asked for a repeat!

One final comment regarding dupes. The contesting club to which I belong has a mantra: "work all dupes!" There is no penalty, but there is the possibility that one op or both busted a QSO, so the second one is insurance. Just work 'em. you might take small time hit, but how much time would you spend sending B4 or DUPE, then explaining to the other op why you won't work him again?

--
73, Mike N4CF
Louisa County, VA USA