On 11/9/2022 5:12 PM, j...@kk9a.com wrote:
One final comment regarding dupes. The contesting club to which I belong
has a mantra: "work all dupes!" There is no penalty, but there is the
possibility that one op or both busted a QSO, so the second one is
insurance. Just work 'em. you might take small time hit, but how much
time would you spend sending B4 or DUPE, then explaining to the other op
why you won't work him again?

Yes. And that's why the guys not keeping dupe sheets are so frustrating, especially in SS when it's a long exchange.

On 11/9/2022 5:56 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> I got turned off of the CQWW DX CW 'test years ago because of the
> absurdly high speeds, of course it is merely a callsign copying event.

Yes, I've made some contesters very angry when I've said on the CQ-Contest reflector that CQWW is the dumbest contest going, for exactly that reason. And it's why so many CW ops love SS -- because it's a long exchange, and you have to copy all of it correctly or lose the QSO.

One piece of advice (really a request) to contesters who think they are weak, so they repeat everything at least once. Please don't do that -- just send your exchange once, and let the other station ask for a repeat if needed. Some other contesting advice.

When answering a CQ, send ONLY your call, and never repeat anything that the other station copied correctly. For example, if he sent your call correctly when he responded to you, don't repeat your call when sending your exchange. And when you're the caller, never send the other station's call unless there's confusion about who's working who. :) As Bob, K6XX, says when he's teaching new contesters, "I know MY call, the only one I need is YOURS!

The reasons for all of this is that 1) contesting is about making more QOSs, which means doing it faster, so never waste time with anything un-necessary; and 2) when you are weak at the other station, or if there's QRM or QSB, wasting time sending something un-necessary increases the chances that you'll get clobbered by that QRM or QSB!

73, Jim K9YC