Unlike almost all modern mics, the original D-104 has a shaped frequency
response curve for optimum speech quality. It has a broad peak in the 3 kHz
range to pick up the sibilance essential for intelligibility, with good
roll-off characteristics at the higher and lower frequencies.

Since filter SSB rigs (like the K2) became the norm, I've noticed that more
and more "communications mics" are simply the same old "hi-fi" elements
packaged for Ham use. They depend upon the filter characteristics of the rig
to limit the high and low frequency response, and generally do not provide
any rising characteristic in the 3 kHz range that can produce the clear,
bright audio that helps intelligibility, especially when copying a signal
under rough conditions.

Remember that when the D-104 came out, rigs didn't have filters! The speech
was shaped slightly by choosing the right combinations of resistors and
capacitors in the "speech amplifier" but generally any frequency between a
few Hz and 10kHz (or more) that came into the mic went out the antenna, so a
mic with proper shaping was an essential element of any good 'phone station
back then.

It's a great mic and a real icon. If yours has the original element, it may
well be a Rochelle salts crystal element. Of so you're fortunate it's
survived. They are easily destroyed by physical shock (knocking the mic over
or dropping it) and temperature extremes. If you open the "lollipop" top,
you'll see the element suspended in rubber inside the ring to help protect
it from shock. The Rochelle salts crystal is also water soluble. If exposed
to high humidity for any length of time, they dissolve! The element was
hermetically sealed when it was made, but it seems that some of the seals
fail over time (or curious fingers broke them).

Rochelle salts elements were replaced by ceramic elements in most
microphones at some point in the late 50's and 60's , but I don't know if
Astatic ever went to a ceramic element for the D-104. Ceramic elements are
lot more stable and strong, but not virtually indestructible like most
modern dynamic and electret mics! Without specific data, I'd assume it's a
Rochelle salts crystal and treat it like "royalty". After all, among mics,
the D-104 definitely qualifies.

Ron AC7AC