On Feb 23, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

It's a great mic and a real icon. If yours has the original element, it may
well be a Rochelle salts crystal element. Of so you're fortunate it's
survived. They are easily destroyed by physical shock (knocking the mic over or dropping it) and temperature extremes. If you open the "lollipop" top, you'll see the element suspended in rubber inside the ring to help protect it from shock. The Rochelle salts crystal is also water soluble. If exposed to high humidity for any length of time, they dissolve! The element was hermetically sealed when it was made, but it seems that some of the seals
fail over time (or curious fingers broke them).

I dropped my D-104 several months after I bought it (around 50 years ago) and know well what you mean. I mailed the head to Astatic asking them to replace the element and let me know how much it would cost. The repaired mike was sent back to me a week later--no charge! I still have it and wonder what shape the element is in. I may throw together a transistor amp and give it a try with my K2 one of these days.

Bob, N7XY