David Yarnes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Something that I saw at Dayton may be of interest to Elecraft
> owners--particularly K3, and possibly K2 folks.  Jay Bromley and I visited
> with Larry Phipps at his booth for a while.  Larry has several very
> innovative items that he sells, including probably the most unique
> wattmeter/SWR meter you can find anywhere (the LP-100A).  What caught our
> attention was Larry's new panadapter for the K3.  He's contemplating doing
> one for the K2 as well.  Anyway, this new gadget (I hope I don't offend
> Larry by calling it a gadget) is very impressive.  You should really go to
> his website to get the full details, but believe me, it is really a slick
> piece of engineering.  I'm not fully familiar with the Icom bandscope on
> it's higher end rigs, but I think this product from Larry will rival or
> exceed what you find there.  Additionally, it really constitutes a 2nd
> receiver, which opens up all sorts of possibilities.  For example, maybe
> if you get this accessory you really don't get enough more with the
> Elecraft 2nd RX????  Can't really say that for sure, but it's pretty clear
> that Larry has something that might give one pause as to whether or not
> they need something over and above that.  Anyway, the demo Larry gave us
> was most impressive.  I suggest you keep one eye on his website for more
> details.  In any event, the panadapter is fairly reasonable, and is
> available in either kit form or fully assembled.  Larry says building it
> is not very difficult or time consuming.  By all means, check all of this
> out.

It appears to me that it would be a second receiver only with the aid of a
PC, sound card and SDR software.

What I would like to see is an external bandscope that does not require a
computer. Either it would be completely self contained, or it would use an
inexpensive portable LCD TV for its display. Perhaps Elecraft will come up
with something like this in the future?

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com