Wayne,

Given the situation, reasons, and consequences, I believe something like what you suggested would be the best solution. If you can extend the time beyond 'the first couple of seconds' (enough time to change the menu or power down), that would be helpful IMHO.

73,
Don W3FPR

wayne burdick wrote:
Dave,

I wanted to run a possible solution past you.

I could prevent the rig from being keyed (by any method) during the first couple of seconds that it's powered up. Instead, it could detect this case, and display a repeating message (something like: "KEYLINE IS ACTIVE") until you either remove the source of the keying or turn power off.

Thoughts on this?

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL wrote:

I've got my K3 set up for cw on Field Day with a laptop usb
port driving a usb to serial converter. Rig control and cw
keying are done over the serial cable, using the K3's
built-in ability to send cw from pin 4(?) of the rs-232
cable.

Everything works fine, but I got quite a scare when I turned
on the K3 and it came up keyed-down 120 watts into no
antenna.  It seems that if the laptop is not running the
logging program, rs-232 pin 4 can very well be in a key-down
state.

---

http://www.elecraft.com