Dave,

I wanted to run a possible solution past you.

I could prevent the rig from being keyed (by any method) during the first couple of seconds that it's powered up. Instead, it could detect this case, and display a repeating message (something like: "KEYLINE IS ACTIVE") until you either remove the source of the keying or turn power off.

Thoughts on this?

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL wrote:

I've got my K3 set up for cw on Field Day with a laptop usb
port driving a usb to serial converter. Rig control and cw
keying are done over the serial cable, using the K3's
built-in ability to send cw from pin 4(?) of the rs-232
cable.

Everything works fine, but I got quite a scare when I turned
on the K3 and it came up keyed-down 120 watts into no
antenna.  It seems that if the laptop is not running the
logging program, rs-232 pin 4 can very well be in a key-down
state.

---

http://www.elecraft.com