But if you leave the setting at its nominal, can you hear the difference as that bandwidth is selected? I'm not sure I understand the advantage you are gaining by bringing the crystal filter in later; I'll do if there's something to be gained, it sounds an interesting approach.

David
G3UNA

A couple of related points, which may not be new news to anyone:

You can set the K3's filter bandwidth configuration to cause the roofing
filter to switch at points other than the bandwidth printed on the filter.
Maybe you would like your (nominally) 500 Hz filter to switch in at 450 or
550 Hz. My 8-pole 250 Hz filter is a bit broader than 250 Hz, and I've set
it to switch at 300 Hz.

You can also turn off a filter (set its bandwidth to zero temporarily) to
evaluate whether a change you're hearing is due to the roofing filter or the
change in bandwidth provided by the DSP.

And you should attempt to adjust the filter gain compensation so that there
is no change in the volume of the note you're tuned to.  Rene, who guides
the assembly of K3s built by Elecraft, told me that he uses a voltmeter on
the speaker terminals when adjusting the gain compensation and can get
usually get within a half decibel.

I notice a definite qualitative change as the narrower filters switch in. It
sounds quieter, and it seems like the volume is being turned down. I think
I'm responding to the reduced low and high frequency components that are
supposed to be cut off.  The DSP-related changes seem more gradual.

Dick, K6KR