-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Cutter
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:18 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: Re: [Elecraft] Hearing the effect of narrower roofing filter

But if you leave the setting at its nominal, can you hear the difference as
that bandwidth is selected?  I'm not sure I understand the advantage you are

gaining by bringing the crystal filter in later; I'll do if there's
something to be gained, it sounds an interesting approach.

David
G3UNA

>A couple of related points, which may not be new news to anyone:
>
> You can set the K3's filter bandwidth configuration to cause the roofing
> filter to switch at points other than the bandwidth printed on the filter.
> Maybe you would like your (nominally) 500 Hz filter to switch in at 450 or
> 550 Hz.  My 8-pole 250 Hz filter is a bit broader than 250 Hz, and I've
> set
> it to switch at 300 Hz.
>
> You can also turn off a filter (set its bandwidth to zero temporarily) to
> evaluate whether a change you're hearing is due to the roofing filter or
> the
> change in bandwidth provided by the DSP.
>
> And you should attempt to adjust the filter gain compensation so that
> there
> is no change in the volume of the note you're tuned to.  Rene, who guides
> the assembly of K3s built by Elecraft, told me that he uses a voltmeter on
> the speaker terminals when adjusting the gain compensation and can get
> usually get within a half decibel.
>
> I notice a definite qualitative change as the narrower filters switch in.
> It
> sounds quieter, and it seems like the volume is being turned down. I think
> I'm responding to the reduced low and high frequency components that are
> supposed to be cut off.  The DSP-related changes seem more gradual.
>
> Dick, K6KR

6:33 AM

6:33 AM