Hi Monty:

I just added a jumper around (well, actually over) my L4. No need to risk
possible PCB damage by completely removing the RFCs.

73,

Tom   N0SS

At 17:50 11/02/2008, Monty Shultes wrote:
I bit the bullet and removed L4 and L7 this morning. It is not difficult; they are both on the back of the front panel board. I jumpered the pads with wire. I am now getting superb audio reports from critical local stations that were guiding me in reducing RF on my audio. My MC-60 mic is back in good graces.

It works.

Monty  K2DLJ

Even in balanced audio systems, the same rules apply. Had the K3 been designed with a truly balanced, 3-stage instrumentation input for its mic pre-amp, the inclusion of L4 and L7 on the shielded return paths would have the same effect. The saving grace in an instrumentation-input circuit (or in the alternative, an audio transformer input) is the inherently large common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR) across a very broad frequency span that limits the presence of RF on a twisted-pair audio line, even in the total absence of the cable shielding. For nearly 100 years, the Bell System and its progeny have used unshielded twisted-pair balanced audio systems in the presence of outrageously-high RF fields with no measurable detriment to performance in many instances.

Paul, W9AC