Hi Mike:
I got out a l'il FCC-2 freq counter/vfo that I built, hooked it up to
the K2 and was able to hear a signal on the K2 to down just below
2740kc. The VCO unlocked just below that. At 3000kc the output power was
about 10 watts. I don't know what kind of sensitivity is available in
the K2 that far out of its specified band, but my guess is that it
should be OK for what you intend.
Good luck with the project.
73, Ken K3IU
K2 #5413