Many eons ago, I got intensely interested in QRP.  This was the era of the
"bantam 1 watter" made from a BC-746 tuning unit.  The ones that were used
in the early "horsy talkies" or "pogo stick" transceivers.  Forget the "SCR"
number!  My first "fun" QRP 'fone rig was a slightly modified BC-611 "Handy
Talky" on 3825 Khz.

The biggest thrill I ever got was working "ZL" one night on 20 CW with a
Ten-Tec PM3 CW transceiver.  Seems like it ran about 3 watts out.  I didn't
think that was possible.    How can you work New Zealand using a power level
that was about enough to light a #47 dial lamp!

There is definitely a place for QRP in amateur radio.  Everything isn't
"contests" (the current craze!), or DXCC or WAS or whatever.  I guess the
"magic" of cellphones and the internet has diminished the "wonder" of just
working another station without wires.  Also without a "computer" acting as
the "interpreter" or 'go between' between hams using digital modes, etc now.

CW?  Another "wonder", albeit and old one, that allows communication between
two operators who can't speak or understand the other's language, yet both
can exchange "Q" signals etc. and messages easily.  All without the aid or
"crutch" of a computer in between!

I was never a BIG DX chaser.  Guess I belonged to the old "rag Chewer's
Club" because that's what I enjoyed.  Too bad I realized the value of Morse
when I was middle aged instead of when I was younger.

What's fun depends on what you like.  There are those who want to run
everyone else off the bands if they are doing what they consider "no fun".

73 to all,

Sandy W5TVW

PS:  I think the "Pogo stick" was the SCR-511?  Anybody remember?