I am not certain where that statement about phase noise comes from, nor
if it is valid.  The K2 comes in at -123 dBc (or -124 dBc) in the phase
noise category.
The transceiver comparison list at the Elecraft website does list phase
noise as measured by ARRL and by Sherwood.
I did a quick count -
There are only 5 listings that have phase noise measurements better than
the K2 (one was the K3), and 19 ranked worse than the K2.

I don't have phase noise measurement capability here, so I must depend
on the ARRL and Sherwood test data, but those measurements are well
respected by most hams.

The Sherwood list is more extensive, and lists "LO noise".  In the 27
transceivers at the top of the list, there were 16 better than the K2, 3
equal to it, and 8 listed worse - so IMHO, the K2 is a bit below average
within the top 27 listings - not too shabby for a 10+ year old design.

73,
Don W3FPR