Hello Julian,

Charging Li-Po cells is a little bit different but not difficult.  I use a
multifunction intelligent charger bought from Radio Control players (only US$50
locally).  I need to modify a bit on the charging circuity.  Don's webpage
gives a very good idea in how to do that.

The total cost of 3 x 3.7v 3300mAH Li-po cells is only US$30.  Standby current
of K2 is around 200ma.  Therefore, K2 can be operated for a long time even at
its rated power of 15 w.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ "Julian, G4ILO" <julian.g4...@gmail.com>
收件人 elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 三, 10月 14, 2009 9:52:55 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] Re: has the k2 a future?

Johnny Siu wrote:

> Upon replacing the Lead acid battery in the KBT2 with Li-Po cells, the K2
> is now very light weight and can be operated for loooong time.  It is the
> greatest portable rig when compared with the others.

I liked the lead acid battery because it made the K2 feel solid and not move
about on the desk, when it was my main rig. Now I have the K3, it is really
only a portable and backup rig, so perhaps Li-Pos would be a better option.
But I don't know what to do about charging. I made a PSU for my 10W K2 in an
EC2 case, and adjusted it to deliver 14.2V output, and it has done a good
job of keeping the gel-cell battery charged all these years. Presumably
Li-Pos would need a more complicated arrangement.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html