A bit of an exaggeration, but I noticed recently that on an idle system
top had just about every process using a fraction of 1% CPU while ELinks
with 2-3 tabs open on general purpose sites such as google news was
using c. 5% CPU.

I haven't been able to guess at why this might be happening. Only thing
that I noticed is that if I bounce ELinks and reopen the same tabs it
will behave for a few hours and then go back to using CPU cycles for no
apparent reason.

Can't say I've lost sleep over this, just curious.

Any suggestion as to how I could figure out what ELinks is actually
doing?

Thanks,

CPU