Hall, Philippe wrote:
My colleague, Nick Deyoe, and I spent some time late last week
experimenting with MediaWiki (PHP app) for this purpose.  We were hoping
to offer hosting and support for the Wiki if we get it working to our
satisfaction.

Here's what we put together so far -- it's the default installation at
this point:

        http://tp02.7thstreetmedia.com/wiki/

Neil, if you want to take a crack at it on your server with the
Kwiki.org's software, I say go for it.  We're absolutely swamped, so I
don't know how long it would take us to get it up and running.
Embperl.net sounds pretty good to me.

I downloaded and installed Kwiki without any problem, and have it working now on my workstation and server under mod_perl. I'll wait and see what Gerald thinks about the domain choices (I agree, embperl.net has a nice ring about it), and then get going on configuring the thing "for real". I'm ok with hosting the Wiki for now, I think it just takes someone to go ahead and "do it". I don't really have a lot of time to spare, since I'm very busy with my own projects. However I think Embperl needs a little nudge, so maybe I can do this thing and see what happens.

Your idea of writing Wiki software in EmbPerl is great, and it would
really provide a good example of how EmbPerl is at least as good as PHP
for doing these kinds of things, even if we know it's actually better ;)

I agree, a Wiki in Embperl would be nice. However given the (apparent) extensive development that's already happened in Kwiki and its other plugin modules, I'm not sure what this would add. So, at least initially, I'm quite happy to just use what's already there, until I can see a good reason to make something else. Even then, it seems that the plugins allow you to customize Kwiki quite extensively.

Thanks!

-Neil