On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Neil Gunton wrote:
> Neil Gunton wrote:
>> Incidentally, wouldn't it be nice to have a Wiki package written in
>> Embperl, and then host the Embperl Wiki using this? Kinda
>> self-referential. I don't really have a good handle on how complex a
>> Wiki package would be. I feel like it's just a content management
>> system with anonymous edits and a database backend, with version
>> control.  Probably a lot more to it than first sight, as usual. Does
>> anybody think there's any good reason to roll our own as a showcase
>> for Embperl? Are the other Wikis out there missing something that
>> would be good to have?
>
> Looking more at Kwiki, it appears that a substantial amount of work
> has gone into this package already, so perhaps re-inventing the wheel
> isn't such a great idea! ;-)
>
> Typical with Perl - whatever you want to do, it's probably already
> been done by about 50 other developers, all of whom have put their
> modules up there on CPAN. Man, why on earth isn't Perl more widely
> respected among the younger crowd?

Well, in addition to your items below, there's the bit where many of
those modules are slow (because they were coded by people who either
were not concerned with scalability or didn't understand the performance
tradeoffs with various design decisions.)

> I think the top "mythconceptions" about Perl are that:
>
> 1. It's slow, because it's CGI (aaargh!)

Kwiki::ModPerl.  It's not EmbPerl, but it's probably as close as you'll
get without a re-write.  Or a fairly silly hook.

> 2. It's hard to read (i.e. write-only)

Depending on the author's skill and interest in legibility, this can be
very true.  Much of my earlier code is an unreadable mess, because I was
trying to do dynamic code, without knowing how to make this legible.

On the other hand, I've seen examples of "line noise" code in just about
every language, including Python, Ruby, and Java.

Ed