Alex dug this out on Xenomai on the Rpi and it is an interesting read:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12368&p=154691

> A quick (very quick) test shows typical latencies in the order of 20-30uS and
> peaking at ~70uS for user space tasks. The kernel space latencies are even
> better and look pretty solid at around 15uS.

That could mean Rpi+Xenomai is actually usable with soft stepgen (assuming it
doesnt run out of steam on doing FP in motion)

also it seems this kernel has the hires timer issue resolved:

> If power management is enabled, the 1MHz System Timer will be used. If power
> management is disabled, the ARM Timer, configured to run at 250MHz, will be
> used instead.

-m