@Seb explains this better, my short answer would be that it seems easier.

> Merge strategy should not change based on what should or should not be moved
> forward.
> The strategy must be the same.

I may misunderstand the word "strategy".  The strategy I think is that every
bug is fixed at its root. That strategy is the operationalized with the help of
the assumption that if that root existed prior to 2.9 then the fix should also
be performed on the branch that represents 2.9 and that if the master branch
can pull from 2.9 then the fix gets fixed in the current version, too.

Now, I know that this is not always possible. The most trivial counter-example
coming to my mind is a typo in the name of a pin. If a correction involves that
changed pin name (or another part of an API change) then the mere pull is not
sufficient to fix the bug. Extra insights are required. Also, a problem may
refer to a function that was removed. But this does not interfere with the
basic strategy to fix early and pull. Some un-pull-able change should likely
then be in another branch like "2.9-release" that branches off from "2.9".

The benefit of merging up over a cherry-pick IMHO is that it looks like more
robust. But that is more like a gut feeling than me knowing. If the
cherry-patches go into 2.9 and the 2.9-only-fruits go into a 2.9-release branch
then I think this looks mostly equivalent?

Best,
Steffen