> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2023 um 17:13 Uhr
> Von: "andy pugh" <bodge...@gmail.com>
> An: "EMC developers" <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Cc: "Steffen Möller" <steffen_moel...@gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: [Emc-developers] RPi5 + Raspbian + LinuxCNC latency tests -
> first impressions
>
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 at 15:20, Steffen Möller via Emc-developers
> <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > My RPi5 arrived over Xmas and I just fired it up, was offered to install
> > LinuxCNC directly from what we offer in Debian, and then ran latency tests.
> >  Graphics (as in video but also the extra art from your X interface when
> > ALT-tabbing through your applications) have the most effect on the latency.
> > I/O from the SD does not seem to affect it too much.
>
> The numbers you show are _awful_ though?
>
> It doesn't look like the LinuxCNC installation has installed the
> correct kernel. (I seem to recall that I had to do a fair bit of
> fiddling to make it happen, it's a Pi thing)

Rebooted with
Linux version 6.1.0-rpi7-rpi-2712 (debian-ker...@lists.debian.org) (gcc-12
(Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40) #1 SMP
PREEMPT Debian 1:6.1.63-1+rpt1 (2023-11-24)
but do not see any relevant change.

After fixing the process to a processor the max observed latency is reduced by
a third (down to 23 million nanoseconds). That is with wifi, video and loads of
I/O. No latencies observed as a regular user - so I am still excited about this
new Pi.

I just updated the firmware (the routine update could not do that because of a
version conflict) and will then try again.

Best,
Steffen