On 12/27/23 23:44, gene heskett wrote:
On 12/27/23 22:33, Rob M wrote:
Gene are you after a PC image or a Pi image ?
rpi4 here.
Or have you made a type with the amd64 bit ?
No, arm64.

I must admit with the "role your image utility" rod uses the locale things
is a bit messy & seems to do what it wants.
I've made images usingthe same method and it's felt a bit "hit & miss"
getting the locale thing correct. Half the issue is a that you expect it to
work like an RPi image but it's not based on any of the RPi images by
"The Foundation", tho the kernel and some utilities come from there there
does seem to be some "magic sauce" missing.

Yes they are very against anything realtime. Mention it the 3rd time and get banned from thier forum for life. So when I first did this in about late 2017 on an rpi3b, I built my own 4.19-rt kernel but had no clue how to install it. So I pulled a tarball together that was only the lib and /boot stuff from those 2 directories of the build, which I actually did on the pi. The plain, no gzip tarball is about 28 megs, and I installed it by mounting the sd-card in a reader, and using mc, copied the lib subdir of the tarball to the /lib of the card, and the same with the /boot stuff. Put the card back in the pi's socket, it booted my kernel & ran that way till the rpi4 came out, 2 years or so.  Since I do my building on an SSD, much faster than the SD card and it mounted to the rpi4 with a usb to sata cable, installing on the rpi4 was essentially a wash, rinse and repeat but much faster with the 4's usb 3 sockets. That was in Feb 2020.

Its been running an updated master of linuxcnc since.  And doing stuff it could not do when assembled in Chicago in the late '40's. But the image now on the card has the first 2.9 release and I'd like to go back to master & continue with what I call the canary in the coal mine duties for linuxcnc.  When I get that done, trixie will probably be out, and the buster on my 3 wintel machines is getting stale so I'll bring them up to trixie, if I don't miss roll call first, a possibility since my next b-day will be the 90th. Got hardware keeping me alive now, pacemaker and a TAVR valve in my heart. 5 or 6 years left on each ;o)>

So I goto linuxcnx.org & hunt up the 291 announcement, and the first thing I see when I find the build bot link is to install its key which is different foom the other one. But on execing the get key phrase, I'm greeted with: cnc@rpi4:/etc$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.openpgp.org --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)). Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.xOf7G6JcDy/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keys.openpgp.org --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
gpg: key EF1B07FEE0EE663E: new key but contains no user ID - skipped
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1

Reading the above its been deprecated, the man page agrees but offers NDA while the other man pages still say to use it. but no one has told the other apt man 8 pages. So how is this done now?