On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 10:05 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 at 14:07, Daniel Hiepler
> <d-linuxcnc...@coderdu.de> wrote:oot I had no more Wifi and (worse)
> the ventilator was a max
> >
> > I encountered similar problems and decided to build my own kernel. I
> created a "fire & forget" bash script to build an image from the ground up
> and compiles linuxcnc+rt kernel on the pi:
>
> Why do people keep reinventing this particular wheel? We distribute a
> Pi SD card image via www.linuxcnc.org.
>
> For the RPi4 I have no idea, it works, maybe some users expect an image
that is exactly like  The Foundation images.  There are a few differences,
like the location of config.txt, locales can be a hit and miss trying to
set them up, even when using the supplied menu-config utility.
For the RPi5 the biggest issue is the display, for whatever reason when
used with an RPi5 it appears the EDID information is not being read from
the display\monior\clay-tablet\slate\cave-wall or whatever the user has
connected up or there could be some "special sauce being missed". I tried a
couple of different fixes, most related to the RPi4 as there was not a lot
regarding this on the RPi5 and "non foundation images". This has been
mentioned a few times on the forum. The solution I used was a "foundation
image", compiled a suitable kernel and then built Linuxcnc packages from
source. As is my preference I installed an XFCE desktop and used
raspi-config to change from Wayland to X as the Wayland compatibility layer
for X I found some what slow. Unfortunately due to no SPI driver for the
RPi5 and not wanting to starting ripping things apart in the Mill's control
box to get access to my mesa ethernet hardware the little Rpi5 is resting.
Tho I do have a PCIe NVME board to try out.

Tho I will say it is quiet the beast and does compile a kernel and Linuxcnc
at quite a good clip, that's just with the SD card, I suspect other storage
mediums may improve the "rate of clip".

If there is something about it that you don't like, then make a change