> Several months later - but since there is no CIA feed posting commits in
> real
> time, the fact that one only accesses updates now and again is not a
> problem.
> Hence there has not really been a need to replace the anonymous SF access
> since tap downloads can be used. They just do not provide all the tools
> that
> allow users to view committed changes against local copies of the code.

I tend to disagree. We still use CIA to report commits as they happen (both
on IRC and as a RSS feed).
You can see it here: http://cia.vc/stats/project/emc

In addition to that each commit gets notified on the emc-commit mailing
list, which is still at sourceforge.
If you subscribe to that mailing list, you'll see the commits as they
happen.

> The point I am trying to make is that these are just hurdles in the way of
> users becoming involved. Probably not a problem if you are not an existing
> SF
> user, but they do get in the way where one has a proven working
> development
> environment :(

I don't quite see the problems you mention. We tried to duplicate all
services on our own (CIA, commit mailing, viewcvs, etc), and there are a
couple new ones (or just a bit better than at SF): the viewcvs is way nicer,
we have a LXR crossreference: http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/lxr/source ...

Regards,
Alex