I got the first pass on my Bridgeport X axis working and I am having
trouble with tuning. I am using a brushed DC motor with a 3:1 belt ratio
between the motor and ballscrew. The motor is driven by a Pico PWM amp
and controlled by a Pico UPC and EMC 2.1.7. Because a glass slide was
already mounted, I used it for my encoder. My primary concern was to do
a sanity check on the motor because it is a cheap treadmill motor and
not a true servo motor. The motor seems to have no trouble driving the
axis at my theoretical rapid of 390"/minute or 6.5"/second. My next
consideration is the low speed performance, which seems much more
dependent on the system tuning than just raw system power. Since I have
a similar system on my lathe, I started with its tuning parameters. I
need to post pictures and Halscope plots but some general issues came to
mind.

Glass slides do not seem to be recommended for CNC applications. Could
someone remind me why? I would think for positioning accuracy you would
want as little as possible between the tool and the mechanism doing the
position measuring. On the other hand for motor control, you would want
as little as possible between the motor shaft position and the
controller. Is there a way to cater to both?

I seem to have a consistent (non-self energizing) oscillation across a
wide P range (30 to 280). I am wondering, is this is due to the .002"
screw backlash, or this backlash being on the motor side of the encoder,
the relatively low encoder (slide) resolution or all of the above? Which
has the greater influence?

The end position always seems to come to within an encoder count
(0.0005") but the rate seems to vary widely during the traverse.

Anyway, I need to document and post better information, but if anyone
has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,