On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:09 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> (Dooh, fixed title spelling)
>
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 11:43 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > I got the first pass on my Bridgeport X axis working and I am having
> > trouble with tuning. I am using a brushed DC motor with a 3:1 belt ratio
> > between the motor and ballscrew. The motor is driven by a Pico PWM amp
> > and controlled by a Pico UPC and EMC 2.1.7. Because a glass slide was
> > already mounted, I used it for my encoder. My primary concern was to do
> > a sanity check on the motor because it is a cheap treadmill motor and
> > not a true servo motor. The motor seems to have no trouble driving the
> > axis at my theoretical rapid of 390"/minute or 6.5"/second. My next
> > consideration is the low speed performance, which seems much more
> > dependent on the system tuning than just raw system power. Since I have
> > a similar system on my lathe, I started with its tuning parameters. I
> > need to post pictures and Halscope plots but some general issues came to
> > mind.
> >
> > Glass slides do not seem to be recommended for CNC applications. Could
> > someone remind me why? I would think for positioning accuracy you would
> > want as little as possible between the tool and the mechanism doing the
> > position measuring. On the other hand for motor control, you would want
> > as little as possible between the motor shaft position and the
> > controller. Is there a way to cater to both?
> >
> > I seem to have a consistent (non-self energizing) oscillation across a
> > wide P range (30 to 280). I am wondering, is this is due to the .002"
> > screw backlash, or this backlash being on the motor side of the encoder,
> > the relatively low encoder (slide) resolution or all of the above? Which
> > has the greater influence?
> >
> > The end position always seems to come to within an encoder count
> > (0.0005") but the rate seems to vary widely during the traverse.
> >
> > Anyway, I need to document and post better information, but if anyone
> > has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I jury rigged an encoder to the motor and it tunes fairly well now, but
now the travel end points are affected by the backlash. I am looking at
getting the MicroKinetics ballscrew kit.

http://www.microkinetics.com/convkit.htm (at the bottom of the page)

which appears to have adjustable double nuts. With zero backlash, it
seems that it shouldn't matter whether I use the linear slide encoder or
the shaft encoder, though my shaft encoder has much higher resolution.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,