Dave Engvall wrote:

> Having said that it would be most interesting to have a system that
> used the information from both a linear scale and an encoder on the
> ball screw. I'll let the really bright guys dope out how to make that
> work. ;-)

Since EMC's PID loop is now part of HAL and easily replaceable, I can
envision a special PID loop that has multiple feedback inputs.  Position
feedback for the I term (long term position accuracy) would come from
the scale.  Position feedback for the P term and velocity feedback for
the D term would come from the motor encoder.

Regards,

John Kasunich