Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:

> I think I have a grasp of how this thing works now.  My only question
> left is, if the "teeth" are in rings, and there are multiple rings
> (and assuming the thread mill is spinning at that same time as the x
> and y axes are moving), how does the tool keep from munging the
> threads that are already cut if there is no "screw" ramp to
> them?  From the looks of the thread mill in the picture, the thread
> mill's "rings" all seem to be parallel with each other, and have no screw
> ramp.
For inside threads, the thread mill has to be a good deal
smaller than the hole diameter, so that the curvature of the
thread mill gets the cutting teeth out of the thread "faster"
than the helix angle of the thread it is cutting.  If this works
out, then the tips of the thread mill never touch the sides of
the thread except at the one axial line on the hole wall.

Jon